Divorce requires compassionate guidance – not only to end the marriage, but divide property, debts, and deal with complex issues of custody, visitation and child support.
A determined + caring team on your side can help make a difficult time in your life more manageable. Let us provide clear answers to tough questions and protect your best interests.
12 Considerations Before Divorce:
- Hire an experienced divorce attorney who can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.
- Gather all important financial documents, including tax returns, bank statements, and pay stubs, and provide them to your attorney.
- Be prepared for the emotional and financial costs of divorce, and plan accordingly.
- Communicate openly and honestly with your attorney and your spouse, and try to come to agreements on important issues.
- Be willing to negotiate and compromise, as going to trial can be costly and time-consuming.
- Be aware of the tax implications of divorce, such as the tax implications of alimony and property division.
- If there are children involved, consider their well-being and try to create a parenting plan that is in their best interests.
- Take into account the potential effects on your career, finances, and credit score.
- Be aware of the legal and financial costs associated with divorce.
- Be patient with the legal process as it can take a lot of time.
- Be aware of the possible long term emotional effects of a divorce and plan accordingly.
- Be sure to review and fully understand any agreements or settlement before signing them, and consider having an attorney review them as well.
Contact one of our Family Law attorneys today to set up a free consultation.
ADDITIONAL FAMILY LAW SERVICES
Mediation | Pre + Postnuptial Agreements | Child Support + Custody | Spousal Support Paternity | Pre-Dissolution Planning | Orders of Protection | Modification + Enforcement of Court Orders