Hon. Henry “Skip” Tonigan, ret., served an impressive 24 years as a Circuit Judge for the 19th Judicial Circuit; additionally, from 1998 to 2000, he served as Chief Judge for Lake and McHenry counties. Using his diverse judicial career in the complex civil and criminal divisions, Skip provides leadership for the firm’s clients with pressing issues in litigation. His skills are recognized by judges, who routinely appoint him either as special administrator, guardian ad litem or mediator in complicated probate and civil cases.
Prior to his judgeship, Skip developed a proficiency in land valuation and land use issues, trying numerous condemnation cases for both public agencies and private landowners. Since his judicial retirement, he has served as administrative hearing officer for many villages and cities in Lake and McHenry counties, hearing ordinance, zoning and building code cases. For over a dozen years, Skip has also been an effective advocate for commercial and residential tax assessment appeals for his clients.
When asked why he continues to practice law and not retire to play more golf, Skip says that he finds too much satisfaction from advocating for individuals and businesses in their important legal concerns and effectuating common sense solutions. After making last year his 4th hole in one on a 225-yard par 3 and enjoying his 3rd trip to the Scotland, Skip says that he finds “plenty time to enjoy the best game known”.
- Residential Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate
- Illinois Leading Lawyers | 2020 – present
- Certified Mediator Civil Cases in Lake, McHenry & Cook Counties
- Administrative Hearing Officer for Municipalities and Special Districts
- Guardian Ad Litem – Probate | 19th Judicial Circuit (Lake) and 22nd Judicial Circuit (McHenry)
- Ela Township Attorney
- Southern Methodist University School of Law
J.D. | 1975
- Cornell College
B.A. | 1972
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS + MEMBERSHIPS:
- Illinois Judges Association | Member
- Illinois State Bar Association | Member, ADR Committee, 2009-2011
- Lake County Bar Association | Member, Civil & Appeal Committee
- Illinois Supreme Court Judicial Evaluation Committee | Facilitator